Help Wanted… Organic Energy Farm Research
The Land Grant Program at Kentucky State University seeks a full-time research assistant for work related to energy conservation and renewable energy production on organic farms. The research assistant will work closely with students involved with the project and with small farmers interested in the potential to apply our findings on their own farms. The work is part of a larger effort to assess the potential of Kentucky’s small farms to meet their own fuel needs sustainably.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collect and process biofuel feedstocks into fuel using farm-scale equipment.
- Maintain a laboratory notebook with accurate, reliable, and complete records.
- Summarize data and present findings in written and oral formats.
- Operate farm machinery.
- Operate apparatus with electrical and plumbing components.
- Drive University/State vehicles.
- Other related duties as required.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Agriculture, Biology, or a related field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Experience with small farming systems.
- Familiarity with national organic program standards.
- Strong research background and demonstrated research experience.
- Excellent recordkeeping skills.
- Mechanical, electrical, and plumbing skills are an asset.
- Experience with fermentation and distillation is an asset.
- Effective decision-making.
- Excellent conflict-resolution skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Applications: Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel.
- Demonstrated ability to work with scientists, students and limited-resource farmers.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT:
- Farming involves extended physical exertion.
- Must be able to work in hot and cold weather.
- Submit the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org or Office of Personnel, 400 East Main St., Kentucky State University, Frankfort KY 40601
- Cover letter
- Copies of academic transcripts
- Application form for position #520522, Research Assistant
- Three letters of reference
- Review of applications will begin July 1st
- Direct questions about the position to Michael Bomford
Please share this announcement with anybody who may be interested.